Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Starving Weirdos - Eastern Light 2CDR
(Root Strata)

So this 2 CDR deal made the Wire magazine year end list for one of the best "Outer Limits" releases. I was always a Twilight Zone fan myself rather than the latter, but I actually ordered Eastern Light before I read said mag. Considering that this is a microscopic re-release of 150 after an equally minuscule first release, it seems odd to recommend it to the world at large, but, in this case, I agree with 'em. It is a surprisingly "professional" sounding release, and it stands out among probably any other low budget spacey drone outfit out there. As I said, it's droney, but there's some actual musicality to it, which'll keep you interested. I don't know exactly how to describe this, other than to say that there are obviously plenty of real and homemade instruments at work here. It was most likely improvised, and pieced together later, and, if that's the case, it's very nicely edited. If not, the joke's on me. I gotta admit, I was a little bit concerned because of the goofy name, but Eastern Light is the real deal. By the way, the CDR's are packaged in a nice hand-painted gatefold. If I gave stars, this'd be a shiny page indeed.

www.rootstrata.com

No comments: